Miscellany and detritus, from the writer of Is This Mutton?com

Search this blog

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Eurovision Latest

Tonight we have the Eurovision semi-finals, being shown on BBC3 of all channels (pah! and where's Lorraine Kelly?). This is when some of the countries are evicted before they even get started.

Fortunately the good old Royaume Unis doesn't have to go through this potentially humiliating experience. Which is just as well, given our poor track record of recent years. As we're one of the main funding engines for Eurovision, we're exempt from the qualifiers and the relegation process should we end up with "nul points" again.

Anyway, I consider it my duty to suffer the semi finals and bring you the news tomorrow plus my tips for the top on the big day, Saturday.

I'm not tipping the UK to do very well at all. I don't believe the UK entry has moved on sufficiently. It's still grounded in the 80's when Eurovision was all about cheesiness and camp dance routines. Now, as we saw from Lordi winning last year, the Eurovision audience wants, dare I say it, something more contemporary. More representative of modern music. Scooch is not that. It's a curio, to be played at parties along with Agadoo and the Birdie Song.

None of the songs we chose from were particularly suitable. Justin Hawkins had to be ruled out on the grounds of his teeth alone. Let's hope that Morrissey delivers next year on his threat to be included.

I wouldn't be surprised if a solo ballad wins this year. It could be the year for Malta, for example, who nearly always field a solo singer, usually of ample dimensions.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.
Join me tomorrow to hear the form!
SHARE:

2 comments

Anonymous said...

Good job someone is prepared to sit through this on our behalf!!!! To be honest, you couldn't pay me to do it, well not unless it ran into at least 7 figures...........

Anonymous said...

Good job someone is prepared to sit through this on our behalf!!!! To be honest, you couldn't pay me to do it, well not unless it ran into at least 7 figures...........

Blog Design Created by pipdig