Miscellany and detritus, from the writer of Is This Mutton?com

Search this blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

BT impress

Criticising big well-known companies is a popular pastime in the UK. British Airways, British Gas, BT, BP, all come under attack and I have been known to indulge in it myself.

But I have to give credit where credit is due, and BT have been very impressive lately.

I've always been a BT customer and my brand loyalty occasionally riles J when he decides we're paying too much for broadband and wants to go for one of the fly-by-night operators (Sky? Heavens no.)

To me, good broadband is very important because I work from home a lot of the time, download a lot of big files and don't want restrictions placed on usage.

Anyway, back to BT. I recently had a mailshot from them about their new service Infinity. 40mb broadband! I should have binned it without showing it to J but he saw it and was immediately on the blower to BT. He has this knack of bartering with them so we always end up getting a reduced price.

I tweeted about how I shouldn't have shown J the flyer and I was impressed to get a direct reply on Twitter from BT saying they were here to help if I needed them. Twitter is a great tool for companies to engage direct with consumers, provided it's not done in an irritating way.

Meanwhile the router turned up on the day promised, followed by an SMS confirmation that the engineer would call on a particular date.

And finally I was called by a very friendly BT call centre employee confirming he had changed my name, which was a separate request.

You might think this is all just good customer service, but to me it is exemplary and what all companies should be aspiring to.

Perhaps I should have waited until the installation happens and we test the speed of the broadband, but I'm fully optimistic it will all go to plan. Stay tuned!
SHARE:

No comments

Blog Design Created by pipdig