Miscellany and detritus, from the writer of Is This Mutton?com

Search this blog

Thursday, January 07, 2010

7/365: Cooking with Nigella


The DHL man braved the snow to deliver two of Nigella Lawson's back catalogue books today, How to Eat and Nigella Bites. These are the two I didn't have, although they're not new by any means. I adore Nigella. It is her 50th birthday this month so I hope it is a good one!

Skimming through How to Eat, I had to smile when Nigella said she wouldn't be covering nursery food like shepherd's pie and bread and butter pudding because she wasn't brought up on those dishes. I definitely was, along with other classics like "the boiled dinner" which I hated; toad in the hole and, excitingly, our first taste of "foreign" food with the Vesta curry and chow mein. Our puddings were Angel Delight, Green's lemon meringue pie or Giz's own creation, "resurrections", which as its name suggests, was old sponge or cake drowned in blancmanage.

Nigella's mum made her own mayonnaise whereas my mum would have looked baffled at the notion and produced Heinz Salad Cream.

Well, I've caught up with Nigella now and quite often make her recipes and have exotic ingredients like wasabi and bottled peppers in the cupboard. J was less than enthusiastic about poussin earlier in the week. "Not sure about having a sparrow to deal with" was his comment.
SHARE:

No comments

Blog Design Created by pipdig